Opposite the Eden Killer Whale Museum on the hill overlooking the Port are a cluster of four historic buildings:
Crown and Anchor Inn
The Crown and Anchor Inn is the oldest standing and was the first substantial building in Eden. It was preceded by slab and bark huts only.
Originally a hotel, it was built in the mid 1840s by George Hirst. After Hirst went bankrupt and commited suicide the first license for the sale of 'Fermented and Spiritous Liquors' for the Crown & Anchor was issued to James Rixon in March 1845. Ben Boyd, in order to further his own interests at Boydtown, had travelled to Broulee ahead of Rixon where the Justice of the Peace was to grant the first liquor licenses for the area and prevailed upon the Justice not to grant Rixon a license. Rixon then had to make the arduous journey to Sydney obtain to his first license.
In 1868 it was briefly used as the Telegraph Office. When the telegraph office was relocated next door to Half House the post master Charles Kebby and his wife Martha continued to live in the Crown and Anchor, renaming it 'Sherwood Cottage'.
After the Kebby's died the house was extended to be used as a bank but the bank was never opened. The Kebby's daughter, Alice and her husband Thomas Wellings moved in and renamed the Inn 'Edgecliffe'. They resided there until their deaths around 1935-1936.
It now offers bed and breakfast accommodation and guests enjoy a commanding view of the bay, ocean and port (see our Accommodation Directory).
More information about the history of the Crown and Anchor from South Coast Time Traveller
Eden Court House
On the corner opposite the Eden Killer Whale Museum is the Eden Court House which was built in 1857 and is now substantially altered (some would say ruined) from its original sandstone design.
Behind the Court House in Cocora Street is Eden’s first Police Station and watch house built in 1850 following the stationing of police troopers here in 1848. The internal sandstone wall which formed part of the old cell block was built from sandstone that came to Eden as ballast in the old steamers. Now called Cocora Cottage it offers bed and breakfast accommodation (see our Accommodation Directory) .
Next door to the Crown and Anchor Inn is the first two story building erected in Eden, which has now been restored as a private residence. It was built in 1850 and was thus nick-named because its planned extension onto the gabled roof at one end was never completed. Like the 'Crown and Anchor' the original slate roof has been replaced by corrugated iron.
‘Half House’ was used as a Post Office until 1885, and was subsequently used as an office of the Government Savings Bank.