After being asked questions by visitors we started to research the origins of the street names in Eden. Our first was Calle-Calle and Cocora, both names came up in South America. This was very intriguing and posed a lot of questions. If you have any information to help update this item please contact us.
Victoria Terrace was named for Queen Victoria of England 1819 to 1901
Albert Terrace was named for Queen Victoria's husband and consort
|Andrea Street. John Stacey and his family were living in the street and it needed a name. He is said to have called it after his daughter|
|Aslings Beach Road. John Asling, who was a convict, had a farm in the 1840's -1860's. The beach is mentioned in the Diaries of Mary Braidwood Moyle|
|Banks St. Sir Joseph Banks was a Botanist on the Endeavour with Captain Cook|
|Barclay Street. George Barclay was an early settler in Eden who was involved in the whaling industry. He owned land in this area. He was also an early Post Master.
|Ben Boyd Drive. Named after Benjamin Boyd who came here in 1842. He was a notorious entrepreneur who thought to make Boydtown the capital of Australia.|
|Bimmill Street. Bimmil has been found in use by indigenous people of the Yabula Yabula tribe in Victoria. The word is used for "corroboree" (ceremonial meeting of Aboriginal Australians)|
|Botany St. The street may have been named after Sir Joseph Banks, the Botanist.|
|Bramble St. HMS Bramble was the tender for HMS Rattlesnake which explored Twofold Bay.
There was a great market for the stories of voyages of discovery and the narrative of the journey of HMS Rattlesnake was published in 1852. "In compliance with a requisition from Sir Charles Fitzroy, the Governor of New South Wales, Captain Stanley, in the Bramble, paid a visit to Twofold Bay, 200 miles to the southward of Sydney, a place of rising importance as a harbour, also in connection with whaling establishments, and the extensive adjoining pastoral district of Maneroo. The bay was resurveyed, with a view to test the comparative merits of the two townships there--one founded by government, the other by private enterprise. After all, I believe, the advantages afforded by each of the rival establishments are so equally divided, that the question still remains an open one."
Bungo Street. Bungo -an indigenous word for Flying Phalanga or hunting club (indigenous Yorta Yorta Clan in western Victoria) or Japanese Province or kind of canoe used in Central and South America.
Calle Calle Street
An indigenous word "culla-culla" has been found in use in Western Victoria near Harrow by the Madimadi group. 'culla culla" was the name for a lagoon.
Geoff Collet who contributed our article on commercial fishing in Eden believes Calle Calle, is the name for the humpback.
May also refer to a a river in Valdivia, Chile. Mapudungan Language(South American tribe) is "lot of Iridaceace"
Chile: When "googling" Calle-Calle we found a river in Chile with this name. The town of Valdivia is where three rivers meet and one is the Calle Calle River. Calle-Calle in the Mapudungan Language (native language of the area)is "lot of Iridaceaces".There is a Family of Iridaceace that grows in Chile, New Zealand and East Coast of Australia; the Libertia. Chile has Libertia Chilensis known as Calle-Calle (Libertia Chilensis). pictured right.
left: Australia has Libertia Paniculata (R.Br)
known as "Branching flag grass".
The (R.Br.) stands for Robert Brown who was the botanist
on theInvestigator with Matthew Flinders.
There is an island west of Southern Patagonian Ice Field, Chile called Wellington Island and its port is Puerto Eden.
A lot of the early settlers and explorers had visited Chile and South America;
Alan Cunningham, a botanist who visited Twofold Bay in 1817 spent time in Brazil.
Thomas Raine, who established whaling station in Eden, was in Valparaiso in 1821. He rescued three survivors when a whale sank the Essex. Thomas Raine also bought wheat from Chile to New South Wales.
Charles Darwin was in Valdivia when a massive earthquake hit in Feb 1835. Charles Darwin travelled between Sydney and Hobart in about 1836. Did he call into Twofold Bay with Syms Covington? Or was Syms Covington living in this area when the area was surveyed?
Count Paul Strzelecki was in South America in 1836 and traveled up the west coast from Chile to California. He travelled to Australia and explored inland from Sydney to Melbourne, then spent time in Tasmania. He left Tasmania on 29th September 1842 by steamer Seahorse and arrived in Sydney on 2nd October 1842.
Did the steamer Seahorse come into Twofold Bay on the way to Sydney, and did Strezelecki have the time and influence to suggest naming the bay Calle Calle after a river in Chile or was it named after the Aboriginal word for Lagoon?
Cattle Bay Road leads to Cattle Bay where the Imlay Brothers loaded their cattle onto ships to be sent to Hobart, Tasmania in the 1800s.
A former resident of Eden the daughter of Gordon and May McCormack, informs us that as a child she was embarrassed to live in a street called 'Cattle Bay Road'. When she mentioned this in a discussion with her late mother she was told "'Well you can blame your father for that one'. When they bought their block of land at what became 34 Cattle Bay Road, it had no name, it was simply known as 'the cannery road' Dad thought it should have a formal name and went to the council about it. They said yes, but what will we call it? Dad said, well it leads to Cattle Bay so why not Cattle Bay Road. And it was done. This would have been about 1948-9"
Barbara also remembers ""When we were kids in the 1950s we used to play all over our block and there was a strip across the front of our land, down about the level of the letter box and in a north-south orientation. Just a little bit of track but nothing grew on it, whereas there was low growing native bush everywhere else. Dad said it was part of the bullock track down to Cattle Bay, where they used to walk the cattle. I don't know if it's still like that, after all that was 60 odd years ago but it impressed me then, even as a child, to think I was playing in the exact same spot cattle had walked so long ago."
Cattle waiting to be loaded onto ships bound for Van Diemen's Land circa 1870
In 1852 Cattle Bay was purchased by the Imlay Brothers to ship cattle to Hobart. The Imlays bought in their cattle from their surrounding properties and held them in a huge grazing enclosure which stretched across from where the shopping centre is now. From the cliffs at the southern end of Aslings Beach, to the cliffs on the west side of Cattle Bay from where they were shipped. The enclosure was completed by another fence that stretched from the cliffs north of the wharf across to the cliffs of Yallumgo Cove. A track ran through the enclosure approximately where Imlay Street is now.
Before being shipped the cattle were herded into the embarkation yard, each animal was led into a crush and a line fasted around it's horns which was used to pull the animal across the beach and into the water where it had to swim out to the waiting ship where it was hoisted onboard by a sling.
Source: The Twofold Bay Story by J.A.S. McKenzie
|Chandos Street may have been named after "Chandos Chair of Medicine and Anatomy". James Brydges, 1st Duke of Chandos endowed the University of St Andrews with 1,000 pounds. The Imlay Brothers were surgeons. Did they attend St Andrews?|
|Clare Crescent. A family by the surname of Clare lived in Eden. Frank Clare was Shire President of Imaly Shire Council.|
|Cocks Lane May have been named after Bruce and Linda Cock who lived there in the 1970, there are a lot of Cocks members (Wes, Viv etc etc)
Oswald Brierley's sketch
|Cook Drive. It is likely that the street was named for Captain Cook, sailor, surveyor, cartographer and explorer who was born in 1728 in Yorkshire, England. He sailed into Botany Bay on 29 april 1770 in the "Endeavour"|
|Curalo St. "The chief of the tribe in Twofold Bay was Budginboro and his wife as Char-ree-leera." Is it possible Cur-a-lo is a misunderstanding of Char-ree-leera?|
|Egan Court possibly named after Bertie Egan who lived out near Bennets store.|
|Evans Way may have been named after Oz and Ivy Evans who were very much a part of the community.|
|Matthew Flinders RN (16 March 1774 - 19 July 1814) was one of the most successful navigators and cartographers of his age. Between 1796 and 1803 Matthew Flinders surveyed the Australian coastline in his ship the 'Investigator'. He was the first known European to circumnavigate the continent. In November 1804 Flinders sent the first map of the landmass he had charted (Y46/1) back to England. This was the only map made by Flinders, where he used the name "AUSTRALIA" for the title, and the first known time Flinders used the word "AUSTRALIA".|
|Flora Street Mary MacKillop lost her mother Flora in 1886 when the steamer Lyee-Moon sank off Green Cape.|
Governors involved with early history of Eden
1810-1821 Colonel Lachlan Macquarie
1831-1837 Major-General Sir Richard Bourke, KCB
1838-1846 Sir George Gipps, Kt Bach, who had been George Eden, Lord Auckland's private secretary.
George Eden, 1st Earl of Auckland GCB
25 August 1784 to 1 January 1849 served as a politician in the UK.
1834 - 1835 he held office as First Lord of the Admiralty.
1835 - 1842 Eden was Governor-General of India
He then served as First Lord of the Admiralty again from 1846 to 1849.(This is contrary to popular belief that states George Eden was the Secretary of the Colonies).
Eden gave a commission to William Hobson who later became Governor of New Zealand and Hobson named Auckland after George Eden.
|Happy Valley Road. Happy Valley Road has a number of stories to why it is named. One story is that relatives were always feuding. Another story is that during the depression, Happy Valley was the name given to areas where homeless people had their shanties.|
in Eden and taking a bride who had left England for these wild shores. His
skill as a horseman saw him delivering the district mail, including Ned Kelly
as a regular customer. He thought Ned to be a fine young man, a view
undoubtedly coloured by their shared ethnicity.
With wife Ann he opened the Roan Horse Inn, the Commercial Hotel,
The Exchange and, in 1880 the Great Southern.
According to obituaries John was a man of sterling honesty and Ann was possessed of a cheery disposition, however this didin't stop their quirky habit of shutting the doors of their butcher shop when the townsfolk displeased them. (Sourced from The Magnet, Thursday, July 9, 2015)
|Hosies Rd was named after a Mr Hosie who used to walk along there on his way to the beach.|
|Ida Rodd Rd. Ida was a lady who worked for the council for about 40 years.|
Peter (1797-1881) a naval surgeon arrived Hobart on Greenock in February 1830. In 1833 Peter was also to call at Twofold Bay. He soon made his home in the Bay and in 1835 was joined by George. On 23 February 1853 Peter married in Sydney. He migrated to New Zealand in 1851 and in 1857 settled at Wangagnui. He died on 8 March 1881 survived by his wife and three daughters.
Alexander (1800-1847) army surgeon arrived Sydney on Elizabeth in December 1829. In 1832 he toured the south coast with Governor Bourke. He resigned his army post in 1833 after ten years service and went to Hobart. Where did he go in his ten years? If he was with Governor Bourke is there a map of Twofold Bay? Alexander married in Hobart and had a son. He died in March 1847.
George (1794-1846) appointed a to the position at Assistant Surgeon on 5 April 1813. He was appointed assistant surgeon on the Semiramis in 1818, and the Satellite in 1821.On 20 November 1821 he was appointed to the position of Surgeon.He was stationed on the vessel Dover in March 1832 and gave an account of some of the cholera cases that were sent on board the Dover from various vessels in the river.He was employed as surgeon-superintendent on the convict ship Roslin Castle which departed Cork on 8 October 1832 and arrived in Port Jackson on 5th February 1833. In 1835 George joined Peter as a pastoralist but continued to hold his navy posting until 1841.On 26 December 1846 George shot himself on Dr George Mountain. He did not marry.
For further information on the Imlay Brothers http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/biogs/A020583b.htm
(All the information has come from HP Wellings' research which he did while working in Sydney)
|Ireland Timms Lane was where Jack Ireland and Ken Timms had their sawmill which was located behind the houses that are now situated there.|
|KB Timms Rd Ken Timms was an Eden identity who, with Jack Ireland, formed the Ireland-Timms sawmilling enterprise. Ken Timms also owned the land on which Eden Cove now sits.
|King Place. Phillip Parker King explored Twofold Bay in the 1800's|
|Linton St. Linton was the son of the Hasties Family who had a shop in the area|
|Logan Court was named after Mr J R Logan who built the Log Cabin in Bass Street.|
|Mitchell St was named after the Mitchell family of Lower Towamba. Mitchell's Creek at Towamba is also named after them. Roy Mitchell, from this family, married Mary Wellings, C E Wellings the photographers daughter.|
|Moorhead Street. The first Imlay Shire Council election was held on 24th November 1906. The President was W.S. Moorhead|
|Nicholson Street May have been named after George Dryden Nicholson the father of Arthur Imlay Nicholson and husband of Jane Davidson.|
|Phillipps Street. Was named after the Phillipps family who owned land in the area|
|Rodd Street. The first Imlay Shire Council election held on 24th November 1906. The Shire Clerk was E.P. Rodd
|Rose Court is situated at the top of Rose Hill which probably gave it its name. Why Rose Hill?|
|Stanley St. Owen Stanley with Lt Yule explored Twofold Bay in 1843, in order to supply information regarding the two towns; one government-Eden, and the other private-Boydtown|
|Storey Avenue. Geoffrey Parnell Storey was the Chairman of Duncan Holdings Ltd When the new mill was constructed. He was a solicitor and also a former Wallaby. The family is still remembered by some local residents.
|Strickland Lane Eden Bakery was established in the late 1890's by George A Strickland in Imlay Street. The stable for his horses was at the rear of the Twofold Bay Development League rooms. In the 50' and 60's the Strickland Family owned a fruit and vegie shop which also sold lollies and ice creams.|
|Weecoon Street is the name the Yuin people called the Cove which Bass called Snug Cove|
Charles took many of the early photos of Eden. The 'Wellings collection' can be seen on the National Library of Australia website.
Henry was the historian who researched the Imlay Bros. and early Twofold Bay Settlers.
Wellings Park is on the highway going south were the Timbers Workers Memorial is now located.
|Wirriga Street. Wirriga is indigenous word for Goanna (used in Castle Hill area Sydney)
|Wykes Lane. The Wykes family has owned business in Eden for a number of years. Their first shop was a bakery.|
|Yule St. Lieutenant Charles Bamfield Yule commanded tender HMS Bramble. An interesting side note is that Ben Boyd's mother was Janet Yule. No relationship has as yet been found|
|Cosham, Maling These streets were named for people who lived in the area at the time|
|Emblen St, Government Rd, Irene Cres, Komirra Dv These are the streets we have not been able to find the origin of the name|